3. CASUAL BOTTOMS
I know that casual clothes are a touchy subject, and I am not asking you to compromise on something on which you are fully persuaded. I am just going to acknowledge that there are some people who do not feel comfortable wearing pants, some only wear skirts and others feel fine with modest pants and knee length shorts. (If you want to know my perspective on this, you can watch my video on that here.) But, I am going to try to not exclude anyone in this post.
The casual clothes that I feel are versatile and will meet your everyday needs are:
- Blue denim knee length shorts
- Black denim knee length shorts
- Blue wide leg jeans
- Black wide leg jeans
- Black leggings with knit skirt combo, or
- Black joggers
Tops are where personality really comes into play. I can say “personality tee” to my daughters and they come back with something completely different. A blouse usually is very different for each person and depends upon their body shape. So, with that in mind, I am just going to give you a brief idea of the types of tops that I love that go well in a basic wardrobe and then let opportunity, individual taste and God be your guide. Also, as a side note, my skin tone does best with cooler colors, but if you do well with warmer colors, I listed the alternative color in the first item so you get the idea.
PERSONALITY T SHIRTS
- Black (or navy),
- White (or cream) – Great for stand alone & also to layer under cardigans in winter
- Gray (or tan)
- Navy (or your favorite color).
- Navy (or fav color) long sleeve waffle, long sleeve t-shirt or sweatshirt
- Black (or navy) personality (or brand) sweatshirt, hoodie or long sleeve t-shirt.
- Gray (or tan) long sleeve waffle, long sleeve t-shirt or sweatshirt
- Bold long cardigan or statement sweater
- Gray (or tan) long cardigan
- White or cream perfect fit sweater
- White short sleeve or two to wear with black or gray skirt (or dress pants or jeans) & layering with cardigans.
- Gray (or tan) short sleeve to wear with black or white skirts or denim.
- Gray (or tan) long sleeve to wear with black skirt or denim.
- Black and white pattern (striped or polk-a-dots) short sleeve to wear with black, gray (or khaki), bold or white skirts & denim & layer with cardigan.
- Black and white pattern (striped or polk-a-dots) long sleeve to wear with black, gray (or khaki), bold or white skirts & denim.
- Black sleeveless
- Black short sleeve like this or one like this.
- Black long sleeve or two
- Navy short sleeve to wear with white, gray or khaki skirt (or pants) and denim.
- Navy long sleeve to wear with gray, or khaki skirt (or pants) and denim.
5. COATS & JACKETS
Coats and jackets are an essential part of a wardrobe. In fact, there are some months where that is what people see you wear more than anything. Here are the classic styles of coats that I recommend for every female to build into her wardrobe.
- Zip up athletic hoodie
- Leather jacket or denim jacket
- Warm parka (long or standard)
- Fall / winter long trench coat
- Spring / summer trench coat
There are still some extra items like camisoles, pjs, hats, swim wear, under armor for camping / snow activities and work out clothes, but those aren’t necessary for every one. I really think that if you are able to build these 42 pieces into your wardrobe, you will find you have enough to meet most situations. If you have any favorite items, feel free to share in the comments.